Monday, January 7, 2008

Cultivating Stillness

"Be still and know that I am God" -Psalm 46:10a

This has always been a difficult verse for me. In context the whole Psalm is about how big God is and verse 10 says that we can be still and know that He is God; He will be exalted.

I know God is big. I mean, there are plenty of other psalms that talk about how God opened his mouth and stars came out (Ps. 33), and other huge things, or in Isaiah when God says His hands stretched out the heavens (Is. 45).

If I know God is big, why can't I be still?

I get easily distracted.

I get easily distracted...

Music.

TV.

Food.

People.

Facebook.

what? Did I say facebook?

The busyness of life distracts me from being still and knowing that He is God. You know one thing you can't do when you're being still and knowing that He is God? You can't think that you are god... You can't be in control.

This next week (and hopefully it will continue) is my experiment in cultivating stillness. Certain distractions have been and will be removed for this week. Others limited. I want to be still.

I want to crave this stillness.

No comments: